I am now beginning my third year of homeschooling Kali. Before I took her out of public school, I researched complete homeschool curriculums and never found one that fit our needs in every subject. I learned real quick that there is no such thing as the "perfect" curriculum and that the eclectic method definitely fit our family best. For the past 2 years we have tried several different curriculums.... some we liked and some we didn't. For math we use Math-U-See. It has worked really well and Kali LOVES it!! Math is he favorite subject. For Language Arts we use Easy Grammar and Handwriting Without Tears. We live at the lake, so science is pretty easy to cover without much book work. For social studies we are using Portraits of American Girlhood unit study. This study has seven series with six books in each series. Each series follows the story of a different American Girl as she faces the challenges and adventures of growing up during her distinct historical era, including:
- Revolutionary War Era and Colonial Williamsburg
- History and Cultural Heritage of New Mexico
- Pioneers and The Westward Expansion
- Civil War Era and Underground Railroad
- Suffrage and Progressive Movements
- The Great Depression Era, especially 1932-34.
- World War Two Era and Home Front America