September 08, 2009

Braden - A New Beginning


WOW!!! Where has the time gone? My baby is almost 5 years old!!! *sniff*sniff* This will be Braden's first "official" year of homeschool. He is learning math, science/discovery, social studies/dramatic play, reading/language, music and art through thematic unit studies, that I have selected based on his interests and learning style. His preferred learning style is kinesthetic, which means he learns best when he is allowed to explore "hands on" what I am trying to teach him. Each theme is broken down into several topics that will introduce him to all learning styles and supports all four areas of developmental growth for early childhood (social, emotional, physical and intellectual). Developing a well rounded curriculum for him has been very challenging for me. It is very difficult to plan lessons and activities, that include a variety of hands on learning experiences, for a 4 year old boy, with an attention span of about 3.5 minutes!! I am hoping to increase his attention span by incorporating his interests in our lessons. As with most of us, when he is doing something he is interested in.... he is willing to spend a lot more time doing it. When I asked him what he would like to study and learn more about he said "Oohh... probably.. like.. backing the boat down the boat ramp, so daddy doesn't have to do it by his self." He wasn't kidding..... Haha... Then he said "And... deer hunting and shooting my bow." He can already shoot his bow better then I can!! Needless to say those are areas that only his daddy can teach him!! He is such a joy and a blessing in my life and I am loving every minute of it.... the journey through early childhood only happens once in a lifetime.

No comments: